Store Best Deals

Monday, September 14, 2009

Canon Digital Rebel XT 8MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only - Silver)

Want high digital-camera performance in an SLR format? For convenience, ease of use and no-compromise SLR performance, look no further than the EOS Digital Rebel XT. Featuring Canon's Digital Trinity 8.0 Megapixel CMOS sensor, Canon's own DIGIC II Image Processor and compatibility with over 50 EF Lenses-the new Digital Rebel XT has an all new lightweight and compact body, improved performance across the board and the easiest operation in its class, simplifying complex tasks and ensuring the perfect shot every time. With intuitive simplicity, powerful performance and unprecedented affordability, the Rebel XT is the EOS digital camera for everyone. USB 2.0 HighSpeed Interface (maximum speeds vary) Exposure Control Systems - Program AE (shiftable), Shutter-priority AE, Aperture-priority AE, Automatic Depth-of Field AE, Full Auto, Programmed Image Control modes (Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Night Portrait, Flash Off), E-TTL II Autoflash Program AE, and Manual Focusing Modes - One-Shot AF, Predictive AI Servo AF, AI Focus AF (Automatically selects One-Shot AF or AI Servo AF selected according to shooting mode), Manual Focusing (MF) Auto pop-up, retractable, built-in electronic-flash in the pentaprism (shoe available for adding optional Canon Speedlite Electronic-Flash) 10-Second Self-timer PictBridge and Canon DirectPrint compatible 1.8 LCD Viewscreen - Any of the following 15 languages can be selected - English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Italian, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, Russian, and Japanese Dimensions (W x H x D) - 4.98 x 3.71 x 2.63 in./126.5 x 94.2 x 64mm / Weight - 17.1 oz./485g (body only without lens)
Customer Review: Ok starter camera, not OK repair costs
Up to this point in my ownership of the camera---two years---I have been quite happy with this camera as a camera to get into photography with. I have pulled quite a few shots I have been extremely impressed with. However, I was recently performing some lens sharpness testing, and in the middle of it, my mirror lock-up feature stopped working: it would not record an image at all while that custom function was enabled. I called Canon's technical support number, and the guy on their end was very friendly and we tried resetting the camera to its default settings and custom functions. When this failed to work, he gave me the address to return it for repairs, not really mentioning that because I was out of warranty that this wouldn't be a cheap expenditure. I'm sure he couldn't really speculate as to how much since he didn't know the problem, but a heads up of the possibility would have been nice. Instead, I got an email notification of the repairs estimate, and it was $210!!!!! Not too much shy of what a person might buy a used or rebuilt camera for on here. For $50, a person can get an extended warranty from Canon for an additional 4 years. I think that would be well worth it, since you know you will pay significantly more than that in repair costs if and when your camera goes south. Something to think seriously about, because it is an electronic item, and the standard warranty of a year doesn't get you very far. I would have to say that I think Canon's repair charges are a bit steep though given the total worth of such a camera. I can't say that I'll take my shopping to another brand's camera lineup though, because I do like Canon's products, but I was just disappointed this time that they couldn't get that function back up and running for considerably less.
Customer Review: Fun, sweet, great beginner level DSLR
The Canon Rebel XT is a great entry level camera for the new Digital SLR photographer. If you're reading a review for a Rebel, I'm going to assume you're deciding on your first DSLR camera. Let me save you some trouble and stress by saying ALL the entry-level DSLRs, from Canon and Nikon, are fine choices and you really can't go wrong. The camera body is the cheapest part of the camera you're likely to purchase, and it's really the easiest to make a decision on: go to a store, pick up a Rebel, pick up a D80 (the Nikon more or less equivalent) and decide which feels RIGHT. Come back to Amazon and buy that camera. Keep in mind that you'll probably be a life-long Canon or Nikon SLR owner at that point, as the lenses you'll later buy for your camera are brand-specific. The same lens will work fine with Rebels and higher-end SLRs, but it'll never fit a Nikon D-anything. The kit lens is okay, and if you're new to Digital SLR's the kit lens makes a great first lens. There is a lot of noticeable distortion at the 18-20mm zoom range, and it feels like the cheapest part of the camera, but if you're buying your first Digital SLR it's no fun to have the UPS guy hand you a brand new camera that can't take pictures. It'll be a good lens for your first year, and you'll learn a lot with it. I love the XT's size and feel, the buttons and knobs are in good places, and the camera looks impressive and feels well built. It's an older model camera but it's priced very well, especially for new photographers. Battery life is really great, and I hardly ever need to swap batteries when out. I wish the display showed the ISO, as I'm notorious for not checking the ISO and shooting in broad daylight at 800 or 1600 ISO. Newer models display the ISO on the back of the camera. This model also lacks the self-cleaning system, which may or may not be helpful in getting dust out of your camera. The Canon neck strap sucks, so shop around for a better one at your local camera shop. Keep in mind, you'll also need to purchase a CF Card (I'd suggest 4 gigs or higher) a tripod, a camera bag and a better neck strap. Also consider a remote and the $90 Canon 50mm 1.8/f lens for low depth of field and low light shooting. Finally, you might want Understanding Exposure, a great book on explaining how light works with ISO, shutter speed and aperture. If I had to do it all over again I'd happily buy a Rebel XT. I'm looking forward to upgrading to a newer, fancier Rebel next year, but only because I like giving my money to Amazon. There's no reason I need to upgrade, and there's no reason not to buy a Rebel XT. I couldn't be happier.


Nikon D5000 Battery
Nikon D5000 Battery
Body Glide for Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

Store Best Deals

Welcome to Store Best Deals